Garden

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

What to do with a pumpkin?



We got a cute little pumpkin in our produce box yesterday. I had no immediate inspiration for it, but this morning at 5 am when my body was practising being awake (for when this baby comes), I was suddenly inspired to bake something with it! A few weeks ago I was at a friend's house and she served these delicious pumpkin scones and I decided I had to find something similar to do with my little pumpkin. I got up and steamed the pumpkin, dried the seeds and got it ready to make into some deliciousness. It being 5 am, I didn't think to take a picture of it. So this pic is not the specific pumpkin I used - but it could be!

I found these two recipes which turned out to come from the same blog - just follow the links to find these delicious, easy recipes. One small pumpkin was exactly the right amount to make them both.



Pumpkin bread
(aka pumpkin cake - let's not kid ourselves)



I decided to roast the pumpkin seeds as well - waste not, want not, right? However they could not appear for a picture because they are currently soaking in a salt water solution to deactivate the enzyme inhibitors which apparently is a good thing. I plan to roast them in the oven with some olive oil and a little sea salt.
Read about roasting pumpkin seeds here: http://www.wikihow.com/Roast-Pumpkin-Seeds.

So, if you are out shopping for a pumpkin to carve and see a little one that is so cute but too small to cut a face into, buy it to make these delicious desserts!

No comments:

Post a Comment