Garden

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches

I woke up last Saturday morning and thought to myself - "I want to make oatmeal chocolate chip cookies". Then I thought - "Then I want to put ice cream between two cookies!" Brilliant. I have had an ice cream sandwich almost every day since. Blame it on the pregnancy, but I think I just really like oatmeal chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches.

First I made these cookies from my Company's Coming Cookie recipe book. Don't try to reduce the fat or sugar content, these are great cookies as they are. And let's face it, we're making cookies into ice cream sandwiches - eat healthy the rest of the day then allow yourself to indulge in one of these beauties.

Oatmeal Chip Cookies

Ingredients:
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 /2 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups rolled oats

- 2 cups chocolate chips

Directions:
Cream butter and sugar together. Mix in the eggs and vanilla. Dump the dry ingredients on top and mix them together before folding them into the wet ingredients (this is my dish-saving trick). Drop in spoonfuls on a lightly greased baking sheet and smooth them into discs for an evenly shaped cookie. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees.
Allow them to cool completely before making them into ice cream sandwiches.

Once the cookies are cool, hold a cookie upside down and scoop about two spoonfuls of ice cream onto the inside of a cookie. Use your favourite type of ice cream - I have tried peanut butter fudge crunch, raspberry cheesecake and vanilla and they were all good. Gently smooth it into a 1/2 inch layer and press another cookie on top. Make them one at a time for individual desserts, or make a bunch and keep in the freezer. Voilà!

No comments:

Post a Comment